Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Very Own Inukshuk!

I've been sick since the weekend, and my level of activity and enthusiasm has taken a toll. My TV watching though, has steadily been on the rise. I haven't been up to very much, but I'm trying to see as much as I can while I am up here. I ventured out for a little walk, and like most of my walks, I ended up coming home with a memory card full of pictures!

Walking towards Frobisher Bay, near where I had my "polar bear dip".. I found a huge rockpile and built my very own inukshuk! Although small, I am very proud!

My very own Inukshuk!

Yay! Me and my Inukshuk friend!


Beyond the rockpile was the destination of my walk, the mouth of Frobisher Bay. Seeing as far as the eye can see seems to be common to almost all of the landscapes I have set my eyes on since I've been here.

A view of the mouth of Frobisher Bay

I walked along the fence that fences off the runway to the airport and it reminded me of a really cool picture I had taken over the weekend of a First Air cargo plane taking off (It's a 767, as confirmed by Mike Little below). That yellow building that looks like a yellow submarine is the Iqaluit (YFB) Airport!

Check out that exhaust!

It is the busiest airport in Nunavut, since it provides the important link from southern Canada to the rest of the 25 communities in the territory. It's geographic location situated along the 'over-the-top' route often used by planes travelling between parts of North America and Europe, and it's super long runway able to accommodate the largest planes in the sky due to it's military origin have also made this airport host to a series of unique events.

For example, unexpected landings have had to go down in Iqaluit because of in-flight medical emergencies - as often as once or twice per year. And I'm not sure if I believe it, but it is rumored that the Iqaluit airport runway was also an emergency landing sites for a NASA's Space Shuttle!

Besides landings from outerspace, the only international arrivals are seasonal flights flying in from Greenland. You can fly Iqaluit - Greenland in 1.5 hours, but you'll pay for it! A quick search on the Air Greenland website has a one-way ticket 735$! And the flight only operates from June to September.... No longer a possibility, but it's something to think about it if ever I come back during the summer months!

1 comment:

  1. That plane is a 767 cargo plane. Why did I look that up? I do not know. Instead of pouring through sites determining how to identify an aircraft (because I thought the nose looked like an airbus) I should have just looked here right away. http://www.firstair.ca/about/fleet/
    Two types of jets, one type has windows, the other doesn't. The jet in the picture doesn't have windows, 767.

    Also everything else about this entry is excellent!

    ReplyDelete